Mon, 21 Aug|
Ho Chi Minh City
Strengthening the Canada-Vietnam Clean Energy Partnership
The event will feature action-oriented dialogue identifying specific areas where the Canadian government and firms can help Vietnam in acquiring the necessary infrastructure, technologies, and investments to reach net zero emissions by 2050.
Time & Location
21 Aug 2023, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Ho Chi Minh City, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Launched in 2022, the Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP) is an agreement between Vietnam and the G7 countries including Canada, with a US$15.5-billion commitment to help Vietnam reduce its reliance on coal and transition to more renewable sources of energy. Recognizing the pivotal role that the private sector has to play in accelerating the plans and commitments of the JETP, this event provides a key platform to connect the private sectors of Vietnam and Canada in commemorating the 50th anniversary of Canada-Vietnamese relations and to propel the Canada-Vietnam partnership in energy transition through the lens of the JETP.
The event will feature action-oriented dialogue identifying specific areas where the Canadian government and firms can help Vietnam in acquiring the necessary infrastructure, technologies, and investments to reach net zero emissions by 2050. Leading Canadian companies will also be invited to provide showcases of their solutions to Vietnamese leading corporates and state-owned companies, who seek to integrate these solutions into their sustainability strategies. There will be ample time for invited participants to network with each other to promote relationship building and partnership formation. Overall, this event will position Canada as a global energy leader and an ideal, strategic partner to Vietnam for its long-term development and growth.
- Enable valuable business connections to be made between Canadian and Vietnamese companies, investors, and government officials to facilitate future partnerships, projects, and trade - especially in clean resources and energy;
- Foster dialogue on the role of the Canadian private sector and government in helping Vietnam meet its ambitious net-zero by 2050 commitments;
- Showcase Canadian cleantech demonstrations to Vietnamese companies and governments to promote their integration into key development and sustainability activities;
- Identify and explore specific activities for Canadian companies and investors to support Vietnam through the Just Energy Transition Partnership, including CCUS, installing clean energy infrastructure, mobilizing private funding, developing a carbon market, and integrating unique cleantech solutions;
- Facilitate networking and relationship building among leading Canadian and Vietnamese firms within or related to the energy, infrastructure, finance, and technology sectors; and
- Offer a segway and private sector-focused component complement to and in support of the Consulate General of Canada to Ho Chi Minh’s 50th anniversary celebrations.
This event is held in collaboration with the Consulate General of Canada to Ho Chi Minh City, the Government of Vietnam, the Government of British Columbia, the Government of Saskatchewan, and
Canadian Chamber of Commerce Vietnam.
Remarks by the Vietnamese Government