The CABC invites members to join the Competition Bureau’s Competition and Growth Summit held virtually from June 1 to 3, 2021.
The registration is now open here. Please note that there will be an opportunity to listen to recordings of the sessions in the future.
The Summit will examine the role that competitive markets can play in driving economic growth in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The event will feature Canadian and international speakers from both the private and public sector, including leading figures from academia and the international competition community.
- JUNE 1, 2021 AT 9:15AM – 11:00AM EDT – COMPETITION, PRODUCTIVITY AND ECONOMIC GROWTH
The panel will focus on the role of competition in delivering economic recovery and growth.
The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, MP, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
- Jeanne Pratt, Senior Deputy Commissioner, Mergers and Monopolistic Practices Branch, Competition Bureau
- Alain de Serres , Deputy Director, OECD Economic Department, Policy Studies Branch
- Christopher Ragan, Director, Max Bell School of Public Policy, McGill University
- Trevin S. Stratton, Ph.D., Chief Economist and Senior Vice President, Policy, Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Carolyn A. Wilkins, Corporate Director, Intact Insurance Company and Former Senior Deputy Governor, Bank of Canada
- JUNE 2, 2021 AT 9:30AM – 11:00AM EDT – COMPETITION AND GOVERNMENT AGENDAS
The panel will discuss the levers available to governments to increase the competitive intensity of their economies, and how governments can incorporate a competition lens in their policymaking while also meeting other critical objectives.
- Francis Bilodeau, Senior Assistant Deputy Minister, Strategy and Innovation Policy Sector, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Melanie Aitken, Co-Chair, Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment, Bennett Jones (US) LLP
- Denise Hearn, Author, “The Myth of Capitalism: Monopolies and the Death of Competition”
- William B.P. Robson, Chief Executive Officer, C.D. Howe Institute
- The Honourable Howard Wetston, C.M., Q.C., Senate of Canada
- JUNE 3, 2021 AT 3:45PM – 5:30PM EDT – THE PERSPECTIVE FROM HEADS OF COMPETITION AGENCIES
The panel will focus on the effect of the pandemic on the role of competition authorities around the world.
- United States Senator Amy Klobuchar, Chair of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Competition Policy, Antitrust and Consumer Rights
- William Kovacic, Non-Executive Director, U.K. Competition and Markets Authority, Global Competition Professor of Law and Policy and Director, Competition Law Center, The George Washington University and Former Member and Chairman of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission
- Matthew Boswell, Commissioner of Competition, Competition Bureau of Canada
- Dr. Andrea Coscelli, Chief Executive, U.K. Competition and Markets Authority
- Richard Powers, Acting Assistant Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- Anna Rawlings, Chair, New Zealand Commerce Commission
- Rod Sims, Chair, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Rebecca Slaughter, Acting Chair, U.S. Federal Trade Commission
For more information on the agenda and panelists or to register, please visit the Competition and Growth Summit website.